Chili is nostalgic for me because it was a childhood treat. On Sundays after Chinese school, my family would usually go to a dimsum restaurant. But occassionally, we would go to Wendy’s and I always loved their chili with crackers on the side.
This is a one pot wonder and it serves a lot effortlessly.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pack 80% lean ground beef
1 red/green bell pepper
1 yellow onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can tomato sauce/tomato paste
1-1/2 cup beef broth
smoked paprika (optional)
cayenne pepper (optional)
sugar (raw turbinado/granulated)
salt and pepper
1. Heat up the pot with some oil and stir fry the diced onion and peppers for 5mins.
2. Add beef, break it apart and cook until browned.
3. Add in all of the spices and mix.
4. Stir in the broth, diced tomatoes, beans, and tomato sauce.
5. Let it simmer, uncovered, for 20~25mins. Stir occassionally.
Top it with cheddar cheese, avocados, or however you like!