Be jealous now. The final product literally put a smile on my face on this sunny day. Just in time for Cinco de Mayo? So last night I went to the supermarket to pick up a can of crushed tomatoes. But it only comes in a gigantic 28 oz can! And I’m only making this to feed myself (for a few days). The alternative? The smallest can of tomatoes was tomato sauce, after much contemplation. As I was cooking this, and poured the can of sauce, I was indeed worried. Nearing the end of the cooking process, I did a taste test. It was sweet, salty, and a bit spicy. But it was a little off from that “chili taste.” I didn’t know what I was missing, but something made me decide to add a bit more water – smart move! I love how quick, easy, and delicious this dish is. Forever a chili lover *peace*
crushed red pepper
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
(frozen) black beans
red bell pepper
(frozen) corn kernels
- Rinse and drain quinoa, then cook – Add twice as much water to quinoa. When water comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 mins.
- Chop onion and bell pepper into small pieces. Dice garlic.
- In an oiled pot under medium heat, cook onions for a 3 mins. Then add garlic and (a few dashes) of crushed red pepper. Cook for 2 mins.
- Pour in sauce. Add beans, bell peppers, (a dash of) oregano, and black pepper. Cover lid and simmer for 20 mins.
- (Using the tomato sauce can, add half a can of water to chili). Add quinoa and corn and simmer for 5 mins. Stir and taste.
Prep Time: 15 mins, Cook Time: 35 mins, Total Time: 50 mins.
Be careful when handling crushed red pepper – After adding it, I went back to check on it and in came a huge whiff…not very pleasant.
Coincidentally, my oldest sister was making chili today too! She said she was using turkey instead of beef. I totally forgot chili is usually made with beef, but what we have here is meatless! More kudos to this recipe? 😛